In this post, I would be having a look at the top solar charger for backpacking. In specific would be undertaking a review of RAVPower solar charger that I recently acquired.
One of the most critical aspects of a trek or a road trip is the availability of power in order to charge various critical components like our smartphone, GPS device, power banks as well as a wide variety of batteries for sundry gadgets whose availability is critical ( Read here how to extract more from a power bank )
Till date, I had been relying on high capacity power banks like the one from Anker Astro E5 16000 mAH. However, there is always a need to recharge the power bank at the first available opportunity from an electric source. I had heard about solar-powered chargers but never gone actively into it.
My multiday treks forced my hand to try out solar chargers for charging of my power banks itself.
If you are enjoying this collection. Would like to keep it close to you, just save THIS PIN to your Pinterest board related to guide to trekking, outdoor hikes, travel accessories
Top Solar charger for backpacking
My review of RAVPower solar charger
This post is my review of RAVPower solar charger which is going to be a part of my essential kit when I am out trekking or on a road trip. So let’s begin this post on Top solar chargers for backpacking and a review of RAVPower solar charger.
I ordered this solar charger from Amazon Global after going through reviews on top solar chargers in focus presently on the internet. The following are my thoughts on top solar chargers and in specific the RAVPower solar charger after undertaking a series of trials. I am basing this review only from a user point of view. Will not dwell much into the technical specification too deeply for they can be seen on the internet quite easily.
Introduction to the RAVPower Solar Charger
The RAVPower solar charger is one among many options on top solar chargers for backpacking available. However, as per me is a great choice. Why do I say that so early in the post? It is because the charger is reliable, affordable and proves a decent amount of power. The intention of solar charger is to power up any electric device that can be recharged using a USB. These include smartphones, tablets, battery power banks etc.
Top solar chargers for backpacking utility harness the solar energy for long trips/treks. during these treks multiple recharges are needed and solar charging is the only option. Even on treks where stay options are available, electricity is sold at a premium, a prime example being the Everest Base Camp trek in Nepal. In this situation, solar chargers are indeed a useful asset.
If you are enjoying this collection. Would like to keep it close to you, just save THIS PIN to your pinterest board related to guide to trekking,outdoor hikes,travel accessories
Review of RAVPower Solar Charger- Various aspects to consider.
- The solar panels patented as SunPower are 04 in number and it is claimed that they increase the energy harnessing efficiency by 23 %
- The panels are ruggedly built from a polymer substrate and held together by an extremely durable canvas cloth
- The entire set up is designed for rugged use and can handle considerable torsion as well as stress and strain.
My comments: Yes, the panels of the Charger are rugged in construction and are held together with a coarse canvas cloth. Having said that the panels are susceptible to crack from a single point contact with any hard sharp object like a stone or a protruding portion of a metallic structure. So the care, while they are opened up for use, needs to be kept in mind.
In the review of the RAVPower solar charger, I must mention that this particular model has the capacity of 24W output which is fairly sufficient. As can be seen in the visual, there are four solar panels that work in combination to provide output to three power chords.
Broad Technical Details
- The solar cells offer three charging ports which can deliver 2.4 Amps of current.
- The total weight is 754 g
- The exclusive I Smart technology ensures that the flow of energy is regulated resulting in the device charging at an even and constant rate.
- The panel has three USB ports and is compatible with most of the devices available in the open domain.
My thoughts on the RAVPower solar charger.
- It is Compact.
- There is a ruggedness to it.
- Integrated Velcro and pouch for storing small devices. is an added benefit.
- It is built for travelling and to be on the road.
- Three charging ports are advantageous as most of the solar panels are offering only two charging ports
- The solar charger is semi-flexible hence this makes it compact. This is a great advantage
- The solar charger takes a lot of time to charge a device. This somewhat disappointed me because this meant that the device being charged is needed to be connected for a longer period of time
- I could get only around 2.0 Amps against the rated 2.4 Amps.
Additional thoughts on the RAVPower solar charger
My suggestion is not to keep the device like a phone or tablet directly connected to the solar charger for charging. The sun rays and the heat generated is not conducive for these devices. The better option is to charge a power bank and then use the power bank to charge the other delicate devices.
Also, the power fluctuation during charging based on the intensity of the sunlight is not healthy for the devices to be connected up directly. Hence use the solar charger to power up the battery bank.
I purchased the item from Amazon Global and it was priced at 9000 INR including shipping costs.
Final Verdict. Well, there is no final verdict, I have found this particular solar charger to deliver as advertised. Hence on a personal front, I am happy with my purchase. I would recommend this definitely to all those who undertake treks/ are backpackers
Would you be interested in reading a few more articles related to travel well scroll down
- How do we extract the most from our power bank in sub-zero temperatures
- What is the concept of layering when we are trekking in high altitude. Read here