Kolkata Metro East West Corridor – a photo essay is the topic of this post. However believe it or not this is my first metro ride in my life. So now that’s a food for thought for me .
Kolkata has become my present home for the past few months. Therefore the city has definitely invoked interest in me to explore and sample experiences from a wide and varied genre.
My thoughts on Kolkata, do read here
During my childhood, Doordarshan used to be the primary channel of entertainment and communication. Everyday evening before the national news, there used to play the track known as “Mile Sur Tumhara” which showcased the diversity as well as unity of our country. In that West Bengal used to be depicted by the Metro of Kolkata. So in this way the entire country used to relate with West Bengal; by the Ganges and Metro.
Related Content to read , there is another city which has a Tale of its own , Mumbai – Amchi Mumbai.
Introduction to Kolkata Metro
First put into operational service in the year 1984, the second corridor of Kolkata Metro rail has come into operation after 36 years in Feb 2020. The existing metro has been serving the city of Kolkata for so may decades and is quite prone to technical faults considering the fact that age that has caught up with most of the technical components. But then that is another topic in itself. I will restrict myself to the current topic i.e. Kolkata Metro East West Corridor – A Photo-Essay.
The plan of extending the current metro network was first proposed decades back and has been in progress slowly yet steadily.
Currently, the section operationalised covers a distance of 5.0 km starting from Salt Lake Sector V to Salt Stadium. Though presently the entire corridor is yet to become operational, however a 5 km section has opened up for public use. I used the opportunity to satiate my desire to travel in a metro. So do see the upcoming visuals which depict the theme of the post Kolkata Metro East West Corridor – A Photo-Essay
What is New on the Kolkata East West Corridor !!!
- Advanced AC Racks.
- Screen doors installed at all stations to prevent accidental falling of people onto the track.
- CCTV surveillance.
- Ergonomically designed lifts and escalators with emergency telephones.
- The coaches have a much improved public announcement system in addition to large windows to ensure natural lighting within.
- The use of natural lighting in the stations deserves a special mention.
In the pipeline on the East West Corridor ….
- The country’s first underwater tunnel will run on this section. This is something that i would love to see and experience.
- Phoolbagan, Sealdah, Esplanade, Mahakaran, Maidan will have underground stops.
- by 2022 this sector will be fully operational.
My thoughts on the Kolkata East West Corridor!!
- This facility needs to be used in its nascent stage to put the system to its envisaged use.
- All users need to maintain the hygiene as well look after the various gadgets and facilities that have got installed.
- Parking slots need have to get identified as presently there is no parking facility available which is likely to become a significant bottleneck.
- Likewise, taxi/auto-rickshaw stands too need to get earmarked which are presently not there.
- The present timing of 8 AM to 8 PM needs to be extended immediately to cater for the evening requirements of people.
- Amenities comprising water dispensers, ATMs, Seating benches and charging points are to be deliberated for installation.
- WIFI connectivity to be established.
In case you are interested in further visuals ranging from architecture to travel destinations , flora and fauna of India , so do click on below mentioned link
My recommended read on Kindle !!
I would love to connect with you on Instagram. That is where I regularly update my travel as well as quirky tales in addition to talking about the gears that we use. So why dont you click on the FOLLOW button on my Instagram handle.